Raebareli is a city and a municipal board in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is the administrative headquarters of Raebareli District.
The town is situated at the bank of the Sai River, 82 km (50 miles) southeast of Lucknow. It possesses many architectural features, chief of which is a strong and spacious fort erected in 1403. The fort was constructed of bricks 2 ft long by 1 ft (0.30 m) thick and 1.5 ft (0.46 m) wide (60 cm by 30 cm by 45 cm). Among other ancient buildings are the magnificent palace and tomb of nawab Jahan Khan, governor in the time of Shah Jahan, and four fine mosques.The most important town within the district is Lalganj which is the proposed site for the Railway Coach Factory. The factory is already underway with construction activities in full swing and locals expect to gain economically from it. The factory is expected to generate over 10,000 Jobs.
History Of Raebareli
District Rae Bareli is located in the heart land of famous AWADH region which was the part ancient Koshala kingdom.This town has close proximity to present state capital Lucknow which is just 70 KM away. The district of Rae Bareli was created by the British in 1858, and is named after its headquarters town. Tradition has it that the town was founded by the Bhars and was known as Bharauli or Barauli. Over the course of time, the name was changed to Bareli. The prefix “Rae” represents “Rai” the common title of the Kayasths who were masters of the town for a considerable period of time. In the early 20th century, the town was an important center of trade, and muslin and cotton weaving. Its population was 15,880 in 1901.
The city and the district became famous as a political bastion of the Nehru-Gandhi family. After independence, the Rae Bareli constituency was won by Jawaharlal Nehru’s son-in-law Feroze Gandhi. After Feroze Gandhi’s death in 1960, the constituency was won in 1967 by his wife Indira Gandhi (daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru), who went on to become the first woman Prime Minister of India.
In 1977, after Indira Gandhi’s election from Rae Bareli was revoked by the Allahabad High Court for using state machinery in the elections, she held on to power by having the President declare a national emergency.
After Indira’s death in 1984 there was no one from the family to contest from here until the 2004 Parliament Elections, when Sonia Gandhi, the widow of Indira’s son, Rajiv, was elected as MP from Rae Bareli with a record breaking margin. In the Uttar Pradesh state assembly elections, 2007, her daughter Priyanka Gandhi, while not fighting elections herself, proved to be a powerful force in gaining large majorities for Congressmen in the area. In the 2009 elections Sonia again won from this seat.
Since 1967, when Indira Gandhi selected Rae Bareli as her constituency, Rae Bareli became the nucleus of the Indian National Congress and Indian Politics. Once in 1976, the cabinet meeting was held in Rae Bareli instead of state capital. The district became the pilgrimage of Congress workers and all the congress workers had a desire to come to this pilgrimage before every election. During this period Rae Bareli got bumper publicity in the national and International press.
Being the constituency of the Prime Minister, the campaigning was much expensive, and because of that local and common leaders did not dare to fight the parliamentary elections. Being the Prime Minister, she contested election from here in 1967, 1971 and in 1977 and being a member of opposition party she contested in 1980. In 1977 she was defeated by Raj Narain of Janta Party as after Emergency, there was a “JANTA LEHAR” all around the nation. In 1980 she contested from MEDAK (Andhra Pradesh) also, and after winning from both the places, she left the Rae Bareli seat. Arun Nehru of Congress was elected in the by-elections.
Economy Of Raebareli
Rae Bareli has the first Public Sector Undertaking – Indian Telephone Industry (ITI Limited). It is one of the six manufacturing plants of the Telecom giant. For the fourth successive year ITI has retained top position in country’s tele-communication turnkey business.More than 50% equipment of India’s tele-communication network has been supplied by ITI.
Indian Telephone Industries(ITI)(Estd. 1972), Raebareli
Birla Cement Factory (Estd. 1997), Raebareli
Shree Bhawani Paper mill(Estd. 1983), Raebareli
Indira Gandhi Canal Project (Dalmau), Raebareli
National Thermal Power Corporation, Raebareli
Sheena industries, Raebareli
Visaka Industries, Raebareli
Indo Gulf Fertilizers, Raebareli
RaeBareli textile Mill, Raebareli
State spinning Mill, Raebareli
UP State sugar factory Munshiganj, Raebareli
Indian Rail Coach Factory(Proposed), Raebareli
Hindusthan Bioenergy Limited, Raebareli
Amkap marketing Pvt. Ltd, Raebareli
National Power Grid, Raebareli
Shreya Seeds, Raebareli
Khubele Enterprises Private limited, Raebareli
Techno Plastic, Raebareli
National Dairy NDDB , Raebareli
Education Of Raebareli
Rae Bareli has a large middle class and affluent population. Education is placed at the top priority by the locals. The combination of the above two factors resulted in the establishment of some quality educational institutions.Most of the schools are affiliated by Central Board of Secondary Education and U.P Board , while some are affiliated to Indian Certificate of Secondary Education as well.
Other than primary schools, Rae Bareli has a bunch of notable secondary and senior secondary schools as:
1. AIIT (Aryan Institute of Information Technology), Raebareli
2. GIC (Government Inter College), Raebareli
3. Gopal Saraswati Vidya Mandir, Raebareli
4. Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Raebareli
5. S J S Public School, Raebareli
6. Shanti Nikatan Vidaya Peeth, Munsi Ganj, Raebareli
7. Saraswati Balika Vidya Mandir, Raebareli
8. Kendriya Vidyalaya, Raebareli
9. St. Peter’s School, Raebareli
10. Dayawati Modi Public School, Raebareli
11. Ryan International, Raebareli
12. Lucknow Public School(L.P.S), Raebareli
13. Delhi Public School(D.P.S), Raebareli
14. Gurukul, Raebareli
15. Bal Vidya Mandir, Raebareli
16. Dayanand Anglo Vidyalaya(D.A.V), Raebareli
17. Maharishi Vidya Mandir, Raebareli
18. Urmila Inter college, Raebareli
19. Wasi Naqvi National Inter College, Raebareli
20. J.P.S.Public School, Raebareli
21. Mahatma Gandhi Inter College, Raebareli
22. Acharya Dwivedi Inter College, Raebareli
23. Vadik Bal Mandir Inter College, Raebareli
24. New Vision School, Raebareli
25. New Standard Public School, Raebareli
1. National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research(NIPER), Raebareli
2. Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology, Raebareli
3. Indira Gandhi Govt. Girls Inter College, Raebareli
4. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Govt. Degree College, Raebareli
5. Feroz Gandhi Institute of Engineering and Technology, Raebareli
6. Feroz Gandhi Polytechnic, Raebareli
7. National Institute of Fashion and Technology, Raebareli
8. Footwear Design & Development Institute, Raebareli
9. Feroz Gandhi Degree College, Raebareli
10. Dayanand Degree College, Raebareli
11. Indra Gandhi Rajkiya Mahila Degree College, Raebareli
12. Sanskrit Degree college, Raebareli
13. Kamla Nehru Post Graduate College, Raebareli
14. Indian Training Institute, Raebareli
15. Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Udan Academy, Raebareli
16. Swami Satyamitranand Degree College (www.ssmdegreecollege.org), Raebareli
17. Adharshila College of Professional Courses (Faculty of Law), Raebareli
18. Baiswara Post Graduate College, Raebarel
and numerous colleges affiliated under C.S.J.M University, Kanpur .
Information Technology has emerged as one of the most significant sectors contributing to the nation’s growth in the last decade. IT is tipped to be the key sector in the new Millennium.There are many best IT institute in which one of the best institute for it is “Aryan Institute of Information Technology” District Raebareli is also not lagging behind in this field.
National Informatics Center, a premier Government organization in the field of Information Technology (IT) in India is providing state-of-the-art solutions to the Information management and decision support requirement of the District Administration.
NIC Rae Bareli district unit was established in 1988, with an aim to provide relentless information Informatics services to the District Administration in planning and development. Ever since, the NIC center has been helping the authorities by providing the necessary IT support in various important projects being run in the district.