Farrukhabad was founded by Nawab Mohammad Khan Bangash, who named it after the reigning emperor Farrukhsiyar, in 1714, the district of Farrukhabad forms part of Kanpur division. The township of Farrukhabad, Fatehgarh consist of two towns, Farrukhabad & Fatehgarh, the former being the headquarters of the Tehsil & the latter forming the headquarters of the district, both lying about 5 Kms apart. The district as it exists now is bounded by Badaun and Shahjahanpur on the north, Hardoi on the east, Kannauj on the south and district Etah & Mainpuri on the west. Rivers Ganga & Ramganga are located towards the east & Kali Nadi towards the south.
Fatehgarh derives its name from an old fort. Fatehgarh remained a Military Station of considerable importance and in 1802 it became the headquarters of the Governor Generals Agent for the ceded provinces. In 1818 a gun carriage factory was established here.
The Farrukhabad district consist of 3 Tehsils with a total area of 2,28,830 Ha., has 7 Blocks, 603 Gram Panchayats, 1020 Revenue villages, 14 Police Stations, 2 Nagar Palikas and 4 Nagar Panchayats (Town Area) & 1 Cantt. Board with total population of 18.85 Lacs approximately.
Farrukhabad one of the important cities of Lower Doab Region in the State of Uttar Pradesh in northern India. The city was founded in 1714 by Mohammed Bangash who named it after the Mughal emperor Farrukhsiyar . Farrukhabad is situated on the bank of secrad river Ganga.
- Zakir Hussain , President Of India and Bharat Ratna
- Khurshid Alam Khan , Ex. Governor of Karnataka and Goa, Ex. Minister of State GOI and Ex. MP Farrukhabad
- Mahadevi Varma, a famous poetess.
- Salman Khurshid , Grand Son of Dr. Zakir Hussain Former President of India and central minister in govt. of India. Delhi
- Kapil Muni, an Indian saint.
- Brahm Dutt Dwivedi- A Famous Lawyer and a Poet With nick name MANJUL, Also a good Politician
Farrukhabad has following institutions for higher education
- Badri Vishal Degree College, Farrukhabad
- Babu singh Ayurvedic Medical College
- Aadarsh Law College, Farrukhabad
- N. Degree College , Fatehgarh
- P D Mahila College, Fatehgarh
- City Public Degre College, Bholepur, Farrukhabad
- Bhartiya Pathsala Degree College, Farrukhabad
- NAKP Degree College, Farrukhabad
Places of Interest
Situated at about 45 Kms. from district headquarter in Tehsil Kaimganj, it is a place of great antiquity and is said to have been founded by the Sant Kampila. It was here that the famous Svayamvara took place in which Arjun succeeded in winning the hand of Draupadi. The temple of Rameshwarnath Mahadev, which stands in the town is very old. The temple is traditionally attributed to Shatrughana brother of Rama. It is said that he had brought the idol (Lingam) of Shiva, which was worshipped by Sita, the wife of Rama in Ashok Vatika while she was held in captivity in Lanka. This idol is said to be stalled in this temple. The Sarogi community subscribed to the erection of three temples dedicated to the Jain tirthankara, Neminath which has made the place sacred to the Jains.
Situated at about 38 Kms. to the south-west of the district headquarters. The lace is known for its association with Budha and its ancient Buddhist remains. According to the Buddhist belief it is believed that it was here that Budha descended again upon earth after he had been for three months in heaven.