Bareilly About this sound pronunciation is a city in Bareilly district in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. Standing on the Ramganga river, it is the capital of the Bareilly division and the geographical region Rohilkhand. It is a center for the manufacture of furniture and for trade in cotton, grain, and sugar.
The city’s population in 2001 was 699,839. Geographically it forms the outer gateway to enter Uttarakhand State. This fast-growing city is also known as Bans-Bareilly (Bansaldev & Baraldev). Though Bareilly is also a production center for cane (Bans) furniture, but it is just a coincidence. The name Bans Bareilly is not derived from its big bans (bamboo) market.It derived after the name of two prince named Bansaldev & Baraldev(Son of Local King).
The status of the city has been upgraded when its name was included in the “Counter Magnets” of National Capital Region (NCR), because it is equidistant from New Delhi, the capital of India and Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh. Bareilly has a lot of potential for setting up industries and to attract people to settle here. Historically it was the part of the ancient kingdom of Panchal and of Katehriya Rajputs. In the Medieval period it was under the Rohillas. The modern city’s foundation was laid by Mukrand Rai in 1657. In recent past Bareilly has given two eminent personalities like Waseem Barelvi (world renowned Urdu poet) & Priyanka Chopra(famous young Bollywood actor hailed from small city)
Bareilly is located at 28°10’N, 78°23’E, and lies in northern India. It borders Pilibhit and Shahjahanpur on East and Rampur on west, Udham Singh Nagar(Uttarakhand) in North and Badaun in South. Bareilly lies entirely in the Ganges plains. The low-lying Ganges plains provide fertile alluvial soil suitable for agriculture. However, these some lower part of plains are prone to recurrent floods. Bareilly lies on the bank of river Ramganga and there are seven rivers passing through this district. The lower Himalayan range is just 100 km from it and it lies in north of it.
Bareilly has a semi-arid climate with high variation between summer and winter temperatures. Summers are long, from early April to October, with the monsoon season in between. Winter starts in October and peaks in January and is notorious for its heavy fog. Extreme temperatures range from 4 °C to 47 °C. The annual mean temperature is 25 °C (77 °F), monthly mean temperatures range from 14 °C to 33 °C (58 °F to 92 °F). The average annual rainfall is approximately 714 mm (28.1 inches), most of which is during the monsoons in July and August.
History Of Bareilly
Manohar Singh, who had six sons, was the only son of the first of Bandhalgotis. The six sons of Manohar Singh divided the estate between them. Raj Singh, the youngest of the six brothers succeeded in adding to his share those of his brothers, Ram Singh and Kunwar Singh who died childless. The fourth descendant Ramraj Singh, Shriram Dev had two brothers Shyam Lal and Dharamir who owned Barna Tikar estate on the extreme west and the Tikri estate on the extreme east. Ram Sahay, the grandson of Shriram Dev was given as his share of the estate Kasranwa on the northern boundary of Amethi, while his great grandson Sultanshah obtained Shahgarh intermediate between Kasranwa and the older estates. Thus, the hold of Bandhalgotis seems to have separated the entire Amethi pargana.
The next of Bandhalgotis, whom anything is heard about was Gurdatt Singh, who in 1743 defied the local authorities and ultimately fleed to the neighbouring jungle of Ramnagar. His fort of Raipur was destroyed in the siege of 18 days and his state was taken over. Drigpal Singh, the son of Gurdatt Singh, recovered the estate and from his time, the present taluqa of Amethi, the property used to be called Udaiwan. Gurdatt Singh was sometimes styled Raja and sometimes Babu. The title of raja was hereditary but it is not known how long it been adopted by the head of the family. Gurdatt Singh had two sons, Harchand Singh, who obtained the bulk of his father’s possessions, and Jaichand Singh who become a separate proprietor of the Kannu Kasranwa.
Harchand Singh owned the whole of Amethi pargana, except Raghipur. In 1810 he was defeated by Saadat Ali Khan and the Raja was left with only 48 villages. However, Dalpat Shah, his son in whose favour he abdicated recovered in 1813 all his father’s original estates. Dalpat Shah died in 1815 and was succeeded by his son, Bisheshar Singh, who died childless in 1842.
He was succeeded by Madho Singh, nephew of Dalpat Shah. Madho Singh tried to expand his estate and had to face hostilities from the nazim of Sultanpur, Maharaja Man Singh in 1845. Negotiations followed and Madho singh was given the lease of the whole pargana with the exception of a few villages. Madho Singh died in August 1891, shortly after the death of his only son, was succeeded by an adopted heir, Raja Bhagwan Baksh Singh, son of Babu Sheodarshan singh, a relative of the late Raja. The estate consisted of 314 village and four pattis, all in Amethi pargana.
The house of Shahgarh was founded by Sultan Shah, the brother of Bikram Shah of Amethi. It derived its name from a fort he built and called after himself. The estate consisted of 121 villages. From 1803 to 1810 Shahgarh was with the rest of the pargana, leased to Harchand Singh, but was taken away in the later year. It then comprised 40 villages but had increased to 60 in 1846 when it was again given to Amethi.
All the Kanhapurias of Sultanpur are descendants of Rahas, the second son of Kanh, the founder of the Clan. Seventh in descent from Rahas came Prashad Singh who had three sons. Fourth descendants of Janga Singh were Udebhan of Tiloi and Gulal Shah of Shahmau. The Raja Tiloi in the beginning of the twentieth century was the descendant of Udebhan. His property in the district consisted of Suratgarh and Naudand in pargana Gaura Jamo.